Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Taking Her Shot and Making It Count

When Katie Miler stepped on campus three years ago, she was just an ordinary student. She was not offered a scholarship to play soccer at Michigan. There was no hype before she ever put on a Michigan uniform. However, four years later, Miler has gone from anonymity to becoming captain of the Michigan varsity soccer team. She has become a three-year varsity letter winner, scored the game winning goal against the Ohio State Buckeyes (She's from Columbus) in her final home game, and also wrote an article for the Michigan Daily that laid the groundwork for her team to play their final home game on Michigan's campus (all other games had been player at EMU)


...And all this after she had to plead with the coach to allow her the chance to try out.

Outline:

Full Disclosure: I've done some work with Women's soccer for mgoblue.com in the past. I don't know these girls off the field. I've already been in contact with Katie and she's be very helpful in trying to set up an interview time.

I'm planning on getting b-roll of game footage from U of M's athletic department to help tell the story a little bit better. Also, I'm going out to get actual b-roll of the U of M soccer field myself.

In addition to Katie, I'm planning on interviewing two of her teammates and the sports information director for women's soccer. This should give me enough material to use for my story.

The actual story will start with Katie coming to U of M as a freshman, and then how she got on the team. It will then be geared toward her senior year on the team, the game-winning goal against her hometown Buckeyes, and the controversial article she wrote for the Michigan Daily about the Athletic Dept.'s inability to provide them a field. I'll write my script after the interviews in order to get a better sense of what I have to work with.

Estimated Time: 5 minutes.





1 comment:

  1. Matt,
    I think you may have your lede with this blog post. Your first graph definitely makes me want to read on. I wanted to reiterate that I would never think writing a piece is a way to do less work than if you were doing a video. I also need to check on an online tool that you can use to create timelines easily. I'll get back to you on that.

    ReplyDelete