In order to really know a person, it has always been my belief that one needs to know what truly is important to that person. What is his or her passion? Dreams? Goals? In my life right now, the answer to all of the above would be sports journalism. For the past few years, nothing has given me greater satisfaction than having the chance to report on both Michigan and Detroit athletics. However, this wasn't always supposed to be the end goal for my future career.
When I came to Michigan, I (like almost every freshman) thought I wanted a career in medicine. The allure of big money, good job, and safe lifestyle seemed like the road to go. But, after going through a few of the classes, and shadowing many physicians, I kept dreading the thought of doing this kind of work on a day-to-day basis. I needed a change. During Winter Break of my sophomore year, I asked myself what I enjoyed most in the world. I thought about and landed on two certainties: I liked sports and I liked to write/talk to other people.
After taking a few COMM classes that following semester, I decided to pursue the goal of journalism and go after it with everything I had.
The next summer, I took a job at a local news station (WXYZ-TV in Detroit) as an intern. I worked in the sports department and had the time of my life. I got to have experiences I had always dreamed about as a little kid but never thought would actually come true. I interviewed my basketball idol (Magic Johnson) and covered the Detroit Red Wings as they made their way to a 11th Stanley Cup. I worked more than 10 hours a day, but each time I came home I had a smile on my face with a feeling of deep satisfaction. I had finally found what I wanted to do. Not only was it a great experience, but it also led to my current job (working for the U of M Athletic Department for video reports on MGoBlue.com).
Things like where I am from (Rochester, MI), how many pets I have (my dog, Obi) , and what my favorite TV show is ( Friday Night Lights) are things that might explain where I come from and what I like. But I believe who I am and what I am passionate about will give you better insight into the real me. This personal experience will hopefully do just that.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment